[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8 addons

Ondřej Pešek pesej.ondrek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:17:29 PDT 2021

Hi Vaclav,

po 6. 9. 2021 v 3:39 odesílatel Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> napsal:

> The plan is to create one. You can follow the progress here:
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-addons/issues/528

I guess that I should finally clean my glasses. I have tried to check the
issues, but I have completely missed this one. Sorry for duplication then.
But I can still start one more conversation on GitHub discussions if you
want. :-)

> I'm waiting with the v8 addon branch for the v8 branch in core or close to
> 8.0.0 release. Partially, to avoid people having to make changes to both
> addon branches. However, it might be more advantageous at this point to
> create the v8 branch in addons since some infrastructure needs to be
> updated anyway. (Martin?)

Well, in the issue, there is a note that "The grass7 branch will be
superseded by the a branch called grass8 before the 8.0.0 release (likely
before branching off release branch for the 8.0 series)".

I support that because as far as I understand, the new version of
g.extension takes into consideration the current version of GRASS.
Therefore, having grass8 branch for addons should not hurt the current
behaviour (also we could then get rid of the if statement at [1] that does
not seem very self-justifying, at least to me - and it's exactly one of
those that gets forgotten in the source code and stays for aeons until
nobody knows what it does). We could keep the grass7 branch the default
one, start fixing the anticipated bugs, and then just switch the default to
grass8. What do you (all) think?

We would need to do some cherry-picking meanwhile probably, for those who
will not notice such change before grass8 becomes the default branch, but
there is not so much traffic in the addons; also, I guess that people
working with their own compiled version of GRASS will notice that.

Cheers,
Ondrej

(and sorry for the schisma of splitting the conversation between the mails
and the GH issue)

[1]
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/main/scripts/g.extension/g.extension.py#L245-L246