[GRASSGUI] Interacting views and realtime data.

Peter Fischer peter_7003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 10:26:25 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have some questions about the capabilities of GRASS GIS concerning
multiple views and display/storing of realtime data:

We have a desk with a view of a terrain (2D view from top, optionally
3D from the side would be nice) and onto the desk are tablet PCs each
with a magnified portion of the underlying terrain (i.e. the views are
different from each other).

Is it possible with GRASS GIS

1. That when the user interacts with one view (in the tablet PC ), he
   also manipulates (shift, zoom, change layer) the other view (in the
   desk)? If not yet, would GRASS GIS be customizable to do so?
2. When using GRASS GIS with WMS/WFS/WCS, display of realtime vector
   data coming in from sensors like GPS signals overlayed over the 3D-
   map (terrain)? The architecture would be an additional data source
   (to WFS and WCS) with the GPS signals and the WMS puts them
   together to one raster image and sends them to the multiple views?
   By the way, the views (in the tablet PCs and onto the desk) are
   different, not identical. Another architecture (and better one, I
   think) would be that the data from WMS, WFS, WCS and the GPS come
   from different servers to the clients (instead via the bottleneck
   of only via the WMS like above) and the clients (onto the tablet
   PCs) do the "merging" of the data into one view each by themselves.

So it would be nice to realize such an architecture, if possible
solely with GRASS GIS or, if reasonable, together with UMN MapServer
and/or GeoServer (for transactional WFS to be able to write back
annotations on the map and changes made in the vector data).

So if someone could tell me whether the above scenario is realizable
with GRASS GIS and estimate how much effort it would take, you would
greatly help me.

Thank you in advance and

Best regards,

Peter.