[GRASSGUI] qgis interface alike

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Mar 26 04:35:15 EDT 2007

On 25/03/07 21:11, Daniel Calvelo wrote:
> On 3/25/07, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
GIS.

>> What might make more sense, in terms of flexibility, is to make selected
>> GRASS commands also available (i.e., beyond the complex menu
>> hierarchy) via
>> a graphical 'tool box', as Trevor Wiens has suggested. Since trying to
>> create a tool box for all 300+ commands would result in an interface as
>> complicated as the menus themselves, maybe we could make a tool box that
>> lets users 'plug in' or remove different command groups (e.g.,
>> hydrology or
>> terrain).
>
> That's what I meant by "Can the qgis plugin interface make sense as a
> "quick toolbox" alongside the heavier wxgui?". My concern is whether
> and how that would confuse users (especially newcomers) instead of
> giving them a gentler learning curve.
>
> I like the idea of having task-related or thematic groupings. Another
> fine idea from Radim is the building of the command icons with a very
> simple symbology; that might help making those thematic toolboxes
> friendlier.

I think that having the possibility of easily creating customized
toolboxes would be very helpful. This would allow us, for example, to
create a specific toolbox for a course grouping only those commands you
really need, with reasonable defaults, etc. This would be a very nice
tool to ease entry into GRASS.

So, yes, I like Daniel's idea (and Radim's work ;-) ), since with it the
user only has to edit text files and add a few images to create such a
customised tool.

Moritz