[GRASSGUI] Re: opacityDialog

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 23 11:23:55 EDT 2007

I did try that and here's why I went to a spinner.

I like sliders. But...the slider looks bad (doesn't format quite right) and
takes up a lot of room (at least on my Mac version) when used in a
customtreectrl.

I love contextual menus, but strongly resist putting something there that is
not also available elsewhere (i.e., with a left mouse click). To do
otherwise means that it is visually hidden and the user has to know that it
exists a priori in order to use that feature. To the best of my knowledge,
this is contrary to standard interface guidelines.

So this would mean putting an 'opacity' popup button somewhere--either in
the properties dialog or in the tree item line and then creating a text
object that would need to be updated dynamically every time the opacity
control is changed. I decided that a spinner was easier to implement than a
button and some kind of text that would need to be updated (always tricky).
It offers direct user access to the function. You can type or spin, it
offers direct user feedback to the state of opacity without any updating
code.

Michael

On 5/23/07 7:31 AM, "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> maybe it would be better to use for changing layer opacity level
> instead of wx.SpinCtrl *wx.Slider*. The attached patch shows one of
> the way (not so elegant) how to do it.
>
> Popup Menu -> "Change Opacity" -> opacity ialog
>
> What do you think?
>
> Martin

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University