[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [GRASSweb-list] GRASS GIS and Apple's Mac Products Guide

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Nov 2 10:04:34 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 09:33 -0500, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> Well, GRASS is definitely "Universal", but I don't know if we care
> whether Apple's logo is applied or not.  I suppose it can't hurt to
> be included in promotional material.  But I don't know if there's
> anything in the license that is involved that we might care about - I
> started reading it but licensing legalese is pretty high on my
> personal boredom list.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have an "Apple blessing".

> And then there's the question of who could sign the license
> agreement.  Maybe after becoming full members of OSGEO this would be
> easier?

My suggestion is that the maintainer of the binary packaging for OSX
sign the license agreement as an individual, not a specific
representative of GRASS GIS.  I've read the license agreement and I
don't see anything to be concerned about.  It gives you a free license
to use their logo for 1 year upon their approval approve.  If, for some
reason, there is an issue, simply terminate the agreement and quit using
the logo (or fight it out in court in Santa Clara, CA).

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785