[GRASS-PSC] Re: GRASS PSC

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Sat Oct 28 17:18:36 EDT 2006

I see the value of both approaches but I can be happy with either.

I originally stated that I favoured a separate list.  I was thinking
that there would sometimes be discussion amongst ourselves that we
wouldn't necessarily want to have automatically broadcast to everyone
on the dev list, not for reasons of secrecy or anything like that,
just that sometimes there might be things we're working out that we
want to work out before bringing in the whole devlist.  We may feel
more free to advance ideas or questions if we know that it won't go
to a huge number of inboxes (perhaps I'm oversensitive to that due to
my own out of control inbox).  At the same time, I thought that the
fact that the list archives would be freely available would make the
discussion / process open, and that a lot of the "real" discussion
would still take place on dev- and/or user-list.  It can even go
further, whereby we make the potential separate list still freely
subscribable, whereby PSC members are definitely subscribed, but
others can sign themselves up to in order to monitor (and contribute
to?) the discussion.

On the other hand, if there is a demand to keep the discussion in the
most open forum, and/or people don't like further segmenting
discussion into an ever increasing number of mailing lists, agreeing
to do things in devlist or devlist/userlist/wiki/IRC is fine with me
too.  I agree that any system of having a subject prefix is great in
theory but hard to keep consistently applied in practice.

I guess I still slightly favour the idea of having a separate list,
but can be convinced otherwise.  I wonder, though - if there is no
desire for something slightly separate from the devlist for SOME
communications, why aren't we having this email exchange on the list?

Cheers,
Scott