[GRASS-PSC] Open issues regarding OSGeo Incubation

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri Mar 9 02:33:30 EST 2007

>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/
>>> GRASS_Incubation_Progress#Community_Functioning
>>> * "See RFC1 for a proposal.
>>> * "Acceptance pending"
>>>
>>> Could you please consider voting for RFC1 in a regular meeting or
>>> pick up
>>> the discussion so that we can get through with this?
>>
>> I strongly feel that RFC1 as it currently exists in the CVS is not
>> workable as a guidance document for the GRASS PSC, for reasons
>> related to the composition of the GRASS PSC and the current
>> decision-making process for GRASS development as I have previously
>> posted to this list.
>> Hence I have already proposed a re-write of RFC1:
>> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-psc/2006-December/000168.html
>>
>> Scott Mitchell proposed some changes that I am happy to go along with:
>> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-psc/2006-December/000170.html
>>
>> Apart from that no other PSC members have provided feedback. I
>> could interpret that as a positive sign, but that would be
>> incredibly presumptuous on my part - thus I still await feedback.
>> FWIW I would definitely *not* support adoption of RFC1 in its
>> current form.
>
> I believe that Paul's rewrite had broad support so unless there are
> any objections
> I suggest that you upload your version with Scott's modification and
> anything
> else that may be missing as the new RFC1 that we can have up for
> a discussion for a week or so and then let us set a date for vote - I
> suggest March 21.
> Everybody may like Paul's version as is, so there may be no need for
> a lot of discussion,
> but let us give ourselves some time to read it and think about it.
>
> Arnulf thanks for your assistance and you may need to keep an eye on
> us so that we don't
> forget about the vote while we are busy improving GRASS,
>
> Helena

All,
thank you for the quick response. I have tried to capture the current
processes in the Wiki and moved some content around.

The current PSC member list is on a separate page to be more prominent (it
is a place that people need to find easily).
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/PSC

I have also added an RFC1 Development Page as work place:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/RFC1_Development_Page
>From what I gather this might not even be necessary anymore but it is a
more handsome way to edit and also read things. I will reformat things a
bit but did not change any content except merging the two referenced
mails. When I am done I will let this list know. Then one with powers
might wish to copy it to CVS. I hope this procedure is accetable.

Last I added March 21 as suggested by Helena as date to vote on the
pending RFC1 motion to your agenda:
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/PSC_Agenda#Motions

These are obviously all meant to be suggestions and if you don't like it
go hack it.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

>> Paul
>>

>>> 2)
>>> Question: "Have project documents been updated to reflect
>>> membership in
>>> the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the
>>> foundation? "
>>>
>>> Answer: "Partially. This will occur once the GRASS Community
>>> approves the
>>> incubation."
>>>
>>> I will remove that answer and replace it with a clear Yes. If you
>>> don't
>>> mind. Well, its a Wiki, so I already did that.
>>>
>>> 3)
>>> There are 148 files as of 3/2007 left without reference to
>>> "General Public
>>> License". Markus is already working on them. He will probably not
>>> need any
>>> help from you.
>>>
>>> When these issues are resolved I would like to propose GRASS for
>>> graduation.
>>>
>>> If you have any qualms with this process, OSGeo, me or any
>>> combination
>>> thereof, feel free to contact me.
>>>
>>> I will report this to the OSGeo Incubation Committee now.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Arnulf.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Arnulf Christl
>>> http://www.wheregroup.com
>>>
>>> [1] this is actually a reverence to the straight history of GRASS

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com