[GRASS-PSC] Open issues regarding OSGeo Incubation

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Mar 18 18:41:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Markus Neteler wrote:

> "ITC" no longer exists, it is the foundation now. IRST was one of three
> institutes of ITC (naturally called "center" to increase confusion :-).
> I assume that IRST remains, maybe as FBK-irst or so. To be decided
> by the politicians.
>
> In summary: I agree that headquarted isn't really needed in the
> general summary.

OK: coming back to this (I feel the discussion about trademarks, while
important, is getting a little off the point). What I had in mind with
describing "our" GRASS in detail (the headquartered... bit) was thinking
about all the other versions of GRASS there exist in the wild (public
domain GRASS, Blackland GRASS, JGrass etc.) and making it clear that the
GRASS PSC is not claiming any kind of authority over them. I.e. I was
concerned more that other versions of GRASS could potentially object to
the PSC documents defining GRASS in very vague terms. I wasn't really
worried about other people using the name GRASS - I don't think that's a
big issue. Especially considering as the public domain GRASS was also
called GRASS, I think any project based on that codebase has as much a
right to use the name as "our" GRASS community. As long as we keep
improving and updating GRASS and making it the GRASS version of choice to
use, then we have little to worry about from trademark infringement. TBH I
don't think there's much we can do about it really even if we wanted to.

So, the issue remains: I do feel it's very important that we put something
in the PSC document to indicate that what the document describes is "our"
GRASS community, i.e. code hosted on the CVS at Intevation, mailing lists
hosted at Markus' institution, postal contact address there etc. If saying
"headquartered at..." is not the best way to indicate this, we need a
viable alternative IMHO.

For information: a HTML version of the proposed document is available at:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass63progman/rfc/rfc1_psc.html
And also the new voting procedures which is important too:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/grass63progman/rfc/rfc3_psc.html

Still plenty of time for more discussion.

Paul