[GRASS-PSC] RFC1 vote reminder

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Wed Mar 21 14:24:45 EDT 2007

On 21-Mar-07, at 12:15 , Michael Barton wrote:

> I just looked at what is in the cvs.
>
> 1. It still has reference to ITC and Trento. I thought this was to be
> removed.

I agree with Paul's point about somehow bounding the work over which
we're purporting to have any say over.  It seems to me that if we say
something along the lines of it being the GPL'd international
software project (possibly specifying heritage in GRASS 4.x out of
CERL), and that at the time of incubation/formation of the PSC/
writing of the RFC1 it comprises the "code hosted on the CVS at
Intevation, mailing lists ... and postal contact address ... hosted
at Markus' institution", whatever it's called today, then that at
least specifies the heritage and makes it clear we're not talking
about any of the other spinoffs... no?

We could perhaps add that in case of future changes to hosting
locations, the PSC will arrange suitable alterations to the OSGEO
pointers?

Would that do?

> 2. I just noticed that it does not say how the PSC comes into
> being. In our
> case, it was a general vote of the GRASS user community, following a
> nomination period. Does a PSC member serve for a limited or
> unlimited term?

I was going to put in a quick fix straight to the CVS but my update
is taking too long and I have to go to a meeting now.  I suggest we
just edit the end of the document to say:

Initial PSC membership was decided based on a nomination and informal
voting period on the community's mailing lists.  Michael Barton,
Dylan Beaudette, Hamish Bowman, Massimiliano Cannata, Brad Douglas,
Paul Kelly, Helena Mitasova, Scott Mitchell, Markus
Neteler, and Maciej Sieczka are declared to be the founding Project
Steering
Committee.

And perhaps just a statement that for now there is no limit on the
term, but that this can be proposed at any time?  Or reviewed after a
specified time period?

Gotta run, I'll check back in tonight.