[GRASS-PSC] RFC1 vote reminder

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 14:40:56 EDT 2007

Hello Scott

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> On 21-Mar-07, at 12:15 , Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I just looked at what is in the cvs.
>>
>> 1. It still has reference to ITC and Trento. I thought this was to be
>> removed.
>
> I agree with Paul's point about somehow bounding the work over which we're
> purporting to have any say over.  It seems to me that if we say something
> along the lines of it being the GPL'd international software project
> (possibly specifying heritage in GRASS 4.x out of CERL), and that at the time
> of incubation/formation of the PSC/writing of the RFC1 it comprises the "code
> hosted on the CVS at Intevation, mailing lists ... and postal contact address
> ... hosted at Markus' institution", whatever it's called today, then that at
> least specifies the heritage and makes it clear we're not talking about any
> of the other spinoffs... no?

I agree with that - similar to my latest proposal but less cumbersome and
therefore better I think.

> We could perhaps add that in case of future changes to hosting locations, the
> PSC will arrange suitable alterations to the OSGEO pointers?

Might be worthwhile although when I think about it again we're really just
using the current locations of those hosting places to define what our
GRASS project is - actually they don't really need to be updated in the
PSC later as they change - we're just defining what GRASS is right now as
you say.

> Would that do?
>
>> 2. I just noticed that it does not say how the PSC comes into being. In our
>> case, it was a general vote of the GRASS user community, following a
>> nomination period. Does a PSC member serve for a limited or unlimited term?
>
> I was going to put in a quick fix straight to the CVS but my update is taking
> too long and I have to go to a meeting now.  I suggest we just edit the end
> of the document to say:
>
> Initial PSC membership was decided based on a nomination and informal voting
> period on the community's mailing lists.  Michael Barton, Dylan Beaudette,
> Hamish Bowman, Massimiliano Cannata, Brad Douglas, Paul Kelly, Helena
> Mitasova, Scott Mitchell, Markus
> Neteler, and Maciej Sieczka are declared to be the founding Project Steering
> Committee.
>
> And perhaps just a statement that for now there is no limit on the term, but
> that this can be proposed at any time?  Or reviewed after a specified time
> period?

Yeah that looks good. I agree it makes it clearer to mention the voting.

Paul