[GRASS-PSC] Re: [GRASS-dev] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Oct 1 16:25:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:09:33PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2007 09:58, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > Jan-Oliver Wagner-2 wrote:

Don't you like the GForge Wiki or Wiki in general?

> > > see top right box of http://wald.intevation.org/projects/grass
> >
> > Not sure what to see there...
>
> the names of the project admins and developers.
> The project admins is what you were looking for.

Yes, right:
  Bernhard Reiter
  Maciej Sieczka

> > > E.g. look at http://wald.intevation.org/scm/?group_id=27
> > > which is the SVN for deegree project.
> > > Click on browse and you enter viewcvs 1.0. Welcome home ;-)
> >
> > OK, fine (not enabled for GRASS apparently).
>
> up to project admins to do so.

OK - I am none, so I cannot do anything.

> > Jan-Oliver Wagner-2 wrote:
> > >
> > > I am not a GForge developer. I am a GForge *user*. And a Sourceforge
> > > user. And a user of Savannah and of trac. ;-)
> > > BTW, GForge is a Sourceforge fork.
> > >
> > > Doing a comparison of such platforms is far beyond scope I guess.
> > > Perhaps it is better to collect some needs of the developers and
> > > simply select a platform that suits them? I guess that at the end of the
> > > day
> > > any platform will do the job good enough of managing SVN.
> >
> > Not entirely sure if any platform will do the job good enough. We clearly
> > see that GForge for GRASS is way under-used.
>
> I guess you mean the bug tracker is underused?

Yes.
Numerous active developers are not even registered there
(see 'Developers:' on the page mentioned above).

Additionally, there are several useful features either missing in GForge
or not activated (I cannot judge that since still I don't know what's
available and possible). But I feel that we start to go in circles.

Markus