[GRASS-PSC] Incubation progress, open issues in Wiki

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Tue Sep 4 22:55:24 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 10:05 +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 08:57:39AM +0200, Arnulf Christl wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I wanted to send a friendly reminder of the open issues in the Wiki at:
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GRASS_Incubation_Progress#Open_Issues
> >
> > As far as I can see activity wrt to the incubation process has stopped
> > altogether, there have been no edits in the Wiki for 3 months. I have to
> > report to the Incubation Committee in my function as mentor and they will
> > again ask why incubation has stopped. What shall I tell them?
>
> that it didn't stop :) Indeed, we didn't update the Wiki as we
> should. But currently we are replacing remaining "Numerical Receipes in C"
> code with new functions.

BTW, I located more NR code in GRASS.  The eigen and Jacobi routines use
them.  I've also discovered that the NR routines are inherently
unstable, but that also applies to most OSS solutions.

Both Soren and myself would like to replace the BLAS/LAPACK (Fortran
code) libraries with ATLAS, a tuned C version.  This also gets us away
from the Fortran issues suffered by gcc4.

If there are no objections, I would like to go ahead and modify
configure.in and include/ to reflect this.  Soren has already created a
good wrapper API for the functionality and has expanded it extensively.
I didn't note any objections when I queried the devel list, but I think
this is sufficiently large enough to be voted on by the PSC.

I really can't complete my imagery/ and lib/gmath API changes until
ATLAS (or some equivalent..maybe even GSL?) has replaced existing
BLAS/LAPACK.

> Some file headers may need update, too, as above page indicates.

I've been adding them to all files I've touched...and I've touched quite
a few lately.

> > I did hope that we might get GRASS through before FOSS4G. Any chance? There
> > is really not much left to do.
>
> That would be an excellent milestone.

Agreed.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>