[GRASS-PSC] BLAS/LAPACK (Was:Incubation progress, open issues in Wiki)

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Wed Sep 5 15:42:24 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 23:29 -0400, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> Brad, Soeren
>
> would it be possible to create a list of modules that would be
> affected by this change and then we should do a thorough testing on
> spearfish and nc_sample data set and ask others to test it with their
> data (including all kinds of unusual applications that they may have,
> large data sets, different scales, xy and latlong,etc.), especially
> compare the results run with the current solvers and the new ones.
> You are right that this is a significant and important change so it
> needs a lot of testing to make sure that we don't get unintended
> consequences. I wish we did such comparison and testing before the
> sites->vector points change.

Modules that are immediately affected:
- i.gensig
- i.pca
- i.cca (I have rewritten to remove band limitations by dynamically
allocating memory)
- i.spec.sam/i.spec.unmix (not currently in CVS)

One thing we have not discussed yet is possibly merging lib/gmath and
lib/gpde.  Right now, we should probably leave it alone.  I haven't
checked to see what all uses lib/gpde.

> Soeren - could you email to the dev list or at least to PSC the
> comparison of different solver when used with v.surf.rst? (if you
> don't have it on-hand - I can post it - it may be even useful to put
> it on a related wiki page - it is a useful reminder how much
> difference there is for different solvers).

Soren has shown me statistics with and without using the LU solver.
They are fairly impressive, IIRC.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785