[GRASS-PSC] GRASS 7 Migration from CVS to SVN

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Sep 15 23:53:42 EDT 2007

Markus and PCS,

I don't have real strong feelings either way. But I've been following the
various comments and I'm swayed by social values of better integration with
OSGEO (though it would be a better argument if GRASS could get through the
incubation). It would make OSGEO a stronger organization and give GRASS
potentially better links with other developer communities if it was hosted
as an OSGEO SVN project.

I've been very pleased using the existing SVN while developing the wxPython
GUI. I don't use Gforge much, but do use it some. It seems OK to the extent
that I've used it, except for email issues. The current web interface of the
SVN seems rather limited compared with our current CVS web interface.

With the CVS, Intevation and Bernard have been great, very responsive, and
very helpful. They have a long history with GRASS as GPL. OSGEO is a great
organization and I'd like to see it grow. It is very new and so without much
of a track record. But they seem to be doing things right.

I haven't used Trac, but it sounds very nice. I took a quick look at the
links for OSGEO Trac and GDAL Trac and it looked very promising.

So my slight inclination is for OSGEO, but I'm also happy to stay with
Intevation. Has anyone asked Bernard for input from Intevation's side?

Michael