[GRASS-PSC] Re: New project sponsorship - was Re: [Board] Project Sponsors for Incubating Projects

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Apr 10 07:46:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > While we are at it: do we have guidelines how to set up a new
> > sponsorship program? I want to launch one for GRASS now given
> > that we no longer use the IRST server as primary infrastructure.
> >
> > I see
> >  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship
> > but that doesn't address our needs. We want to collect small
> > money donations first which aren't under level regulations.
> > Think "donate button".
> >

>  Markus,
>
>  We have no program for this, and the sponsorship program was explicitly
>  established to handle larger amounts because of a concern that small
>  amounts would prove to be a hassle to manage properly.
>
>  Perhaps the finance committee could consider mechanisms for handling
>  project directed small donations efficiently.

At this point we could set up our own mechanism (for now).
E.g. the German GRASS Association (a legal entity) could
handle the money on a trust basis in a managed account - they
do it already for the FOSSGIS.de series of conferences.

Of course we need consulations in the PSC and 8if so) with
the German GRASS Association first.

I just wanted to explore the current situation.

thanks,