[GRASS-PSC] SVN write access request

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 9 11:34:06 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Colin Nielsen wrote:
>> I am writing to request write access to the SVN so I can make some
>> updates to the r.cost, r.walk and r.drain modules.
>> I have read, and accept, the terms of the "Legal aspects of code
>> contributions (RFC2)", and have created an osgeo_id (cnielsen).
>>
>> Thanks and let me know if there is any more information you
>> require.
>

> Hi Colin,
>
> it is rather poorly explained in the trac wiki (well, ok, it's wrong):
> the typical process for new developers is that for some mentorship
> period they send patches to the devel list or trac system for other old
> timers to review and commit for them. full svn access generally happens
> when the mentor has seen enough patches that they trust the person's code,
> and get bored reviewing all their patches. at that point the mentor
> nominates the new dev, and the vote happens.
>
> this is all rather murky common-law stuff, we've never got around to
> working on the second draft of RFC3 and preparing it for ratification.
> None the less, this is a PSC vote, and from my reading of the current
> RFC3 & expectations, votes are supposed to be called by a member of the
> PSC (ie your dev mentor) not by the new dev. the dev/trac wiki should
> say that, but it doesn't. oops
>

> I don't doubt that you have a better understanding of the inner workings
> of r.drain, r.cost, and r.walk than maybe anyone else here, and that
> you've been quietly working away on them for months, but the fact of the
> matter is that I've never seen a proper patch, so have nothing to go on
> to make a judgment right now. sorry.
>
> for what it's worth, you don't have to be god's gift to programming; as
> far as I can tell most of us here are scientists come self-taught
> programmers when we needed some tool. luckily there are some real
> programmers around to keep us in line ;)
>

> what I'd suggest is that we stall this vote and apologize for any mis-
> understandings, you post your improvements to the bug/wish trac system,
> get them reviewed & committed, etc etc. and then sooner or later we will
> trust your code and get sick of committing things for you and whoever
> does most of that committing will make some noises to pick up this vote
> where we left off.
>

> todo for the rest of us: fix the wiki text and finish rfc3.
>

> cheers & I look forward to trying out your contributions*,
> Hamish

As I am less involved with development, I tend to defer to Hamish's
judgement on this matter. As a long-time user of r.cost / r.walk /
r.drain I am excited about new developments in those modules, and
would like to see Colin eventually contribute his code- post testing.
I would be happy to assist with testing these modules. Thanks for the
hard work.

Cheers,

Dylan