[GRASS-PSC] SVN Write Access Request

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 06:54:18 EDT 2008

Marco:
> I read and accepted the terms of the RFC 2 document
> published here:
> http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass6_progman/rfc/rfc2_psc.html

ok, then "+1" from me.

> > simple curiosity: where do you expect your initial
> WinGRASS commits to be? In a dir in the source code like
> macosx/ and debian/, or in the grass-web
> grass63/binary/mswin/ area, or ..?
>
> 1) grass-web/trunk/grass63/binary/mswindows/native
>
> to maintain the published release documentation
>
> 2) branches/develbranch_6/win32
>
> the folder where i put all the scripts and files needed to
> prepare the release installer (as an exe file).

why refer to 32bit in the dirname?

> Just few questions: all the files (dos batch scripts, the
> NSIS script, icons and documents) are made by me, with the
> exception of:
>
> 2.1) the bmp files (4) for the installer GUI, taken from
> the standard library of NSIS (that is OS, obviously)

it may be "open source", but that means 1001 different things, many of which we can not touch. what is the license exactly? are those 4 files distributed under terms compatible with the GPL? If not GPL is it one of the OSI usual-suspects approved set?

> 2.2) a small part of the installer, a function to let
> replace parts of strings; I just copied and pasted it,
> maintaining the header, where is clear the line
> ";Written by [author]"

what license terms did the author provide it with? you can not just cut and paste things from the internet or "cook books", even with attribution. is it a simple one- liner that is hard to write any other way, or is it an original work?  without a clear license you can not distribute the code. if in doubt try and contact the author of that code, they may give you full permission to use, modify, and redistribute it.

> does it match the RFC 2?

Without more details I don't know.
to be clear, it is explicitly the committer's responsibility to ensure that everything they put in the repo is legally kosher.

(this is perhaps a matter that should be cc'd to the -dev list for wider audience + comment)

good reading:
  http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/foss-primer.html

Hamish