[GRASS-PSC] Re: Donations for the GRASS project

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 25 14:55:08 EDT 2009

Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> Thanks for the information,
> I see this is in line with OSgeo policy and I have no objection at all.
> (I didn't want to be negative, I just had some thought and personal
> considerations.)
>
> The Qgis Sponsorship and Donation program look well structured, and we
> can take inspiration from that.
>
> Here are some other questions that I have:
> - Do GRASS need to be a legal entity to manage donations and
> sponsorship? (probably OSGeo can do it for GRASS if required)...

Maxi,

I would note that OSGeo's sponsorship program is setup with a lower
limit of $500 for closely tracked contributions because careful
tracking of small contributions is too labour intensive for us to
take on.

However, it would be crazy to create a new legal organization for
such a purpose. If you were considering that I think it would be
better to work out a way for a GRASS volunteer to manage the
transactions on behalf of OSGeo in close cooperation with me (as
Treasurer) and Tyler.

> - What kind of implication can it have in terms of administration?
> - How to transparently allocate resources? (This is something that I
> think should be discussed to ensure donors to see how their $$ are
> effectively spent.)

I don't know the legal implications everywhere, but my assumption has
been that smaller contributions outside OSGeo would be handled by
individuals.

Best regards,