[GRASS-PSC] PSC management

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 12:40:58 PDT 2012

Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Paul Kelly  <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it
>> could simply be an informal rule.
>
> I believe that an addition is needed, especially to fix the currently broken
> reference to "above" in the text.

I don't see any inconsistency there - as I see it "above" refers to the
previous paragraph entitled "Operation of the PSC", where it describes how
a proposal is put to the PSC. Looks OK to me.

>> If any PSC members aren't willing to
>> continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
>> by the chair.
>
> I dunno, this sounds much like "the chair kicks the sleepy members out".

I guess so, but I just feel kind of uncomfortable with the idea that
people could be somehow automatically removed from the committee without
any discussion on the list. Note that addition or removal of members
doesn't appear to require a formal vote, simply to be put forward as
proposal for discussion until consensus is reached.

All it should need is an e-mail (from anyone who feels comfortable sending
it; it needn't be the chair) saying "I propose that the following members
be removed from the PSC committee with effect from XX June 2012" - and if
there are no objections (no need to call a vote, unless anyone wants to)
then consensus has been reached and the members are removed.

Hamish wrote:

> I would simplify as much as possible, add the reasoning, and leave off
> the the fine-detail procedural stuff:
>
> "In order to keep the PSC fresh, members will annually confirm their
> continued involvement. This should happen by June 1st of each year,
> afterwhich nominations for their replacement may commence at the
> discretion of the chair. They are not replaced, and retain voting rights,
> until such point as their replacement member is formally accepted."

I think this sounds very good; I like the idea that nothing happens
automatically without being proposed to the committee and I also like the
idea that there has to be a replacement (otherwise a two-week e-mail
outage could theoretically lead to all PSC members being booted out and
there being nobody left!).

Best regards

Paul