[GRASS-PSC] PSC management

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 17:51:12 PDT 2012

> Quoth Markus N.:
>> "The PSC members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
>> PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
>> This confirmation is expected by 1 June of each year. In case of lack
>> of this confirmation the member will be replaced."

Dylan:
> That sounds just about right. Here is a slightly altered
> version:
>
> Members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
> PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active
> involvement in the PSC. This confirmation is expected annually,
> by June 1st. In the absence of such confirmation, nominations
> will open for a replacement by XXX (June 15th?).

I would simplify as much as possible, add the reasoning, and leave off
the the fine-detail procedural stuff:

"In order to keep the PSC fresh, members will annually confirm their
continued involvement. This should happen by June 1st of each year,
afterwhich nominations for their replacement may commence at the
discretion of the chair. They are not replaced, and retain voting rights,
until such point as their replacement member is formally accepted."

Overly-automatic timeouts are poor management IMO, it puts the burden onto
the ruleset instead of the humans. Maybe that avoids some personal
confrontation, but is a bit of a cop-out of our responsibilities IMO.

best,
Hamish