[GRASS-PSC] PSC management

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 29 09:33:06 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Paul Kelly
<paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be done.
> RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:
>
> "Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection of
> Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."
>
> I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few years
> now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of GIS - so
> I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at any time.
> It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific date every
> year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to continue is a great
> idea.
>
> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it
> could simply be an informal rule. If any PSC members aren't willing to
> continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
> by the chair. I do think it's important to have a specific date every year
> that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and
> someone might be away on holiday for example.
>
> To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would
> suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".
>
> Apart from that, great work.
>
> Best regards
>
> Paul

I agree with Paul. Unfortunately I am in a similar situation, and
cannot really dedicate enough time to GRASS to justify being on the
PSC. I can see this situation changing in the near future, but I am
sure that there are others out there who have more time to dedicate to
the project. I'll continue to lurk on the mailing list and eventually
get back into GRASS development.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

Dylan