[GRASS-PSC] PSC management

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed May 30 02:54:00 PDT 2012

Hi Paul, all,

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Paul Kelly
<paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be done.

Thanks for your immediate reply.

> RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:
>
> "Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection of
> Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."

Yes, amusingly this "described above" points to nowhere. So one new
phrase is needed closing the gap.

> I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few years
> now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of GIS - so
> I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at any time.

It does not mean to be kicked of this open list!

General comment:
I just want to be the PSC a bit more active, i.e. proposing new ideas,
implementing more at outreach and so forth. May I felt a bit too much
talking to myself here in the past :)

> It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific date every
> year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to continue is a great
> idea.

Agreed. Like this we get a rhythm.

> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it
> could simply be an informal rule.

I believe that an addition is needed, especially to fix the currently broken
reference to "above" in the text.

> If any PSC members aren't willing to
> continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
> by the chair.

I dunno, this sounds much like "the chair kicks the sleepy members out".
See below for a proposal.

> I do think it's important to have a specific date every year
> that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and
> someone might be away on holiday for example.

Sure - I put it this time to get something rolling :)

> To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would
> suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".

I would propose to add something like this phrase to RFC1:

"The PSC members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
This confirmation is expected by 1 June of each year. In case of lack
of this confirmation the member will be replaced."

[please put into real English, thanks]

> Apart from that, great work.

Great work of a great community!

Best