[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [GRASS-web] authorization reproduction

Scott Mitchell smlists at me.com
Wed Oct 23 10:27:58 PDT 2013

Please see my comments/questions below this original post to the -web list:

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jan-bernard Bouzillé <jan-bernard.bouzille at univ-rennes1.fr>
> Subject: [GRASS-web] authorization reproduction
> Date: 23 October, 2013 06:04:46 EDT
> To: grass-web at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Dear Sir
>
> I am preparing a book entitled  "Connaissance de la biodiversité végétale" in which I wish integrate screenshots of results obtained with Grass Gis. My editor "Lavoisier (Tec & Doc)" want reproduction authorization for these screenshots. So, I send you an  attached letter to request this authorization.
>
> I hope that it does not raise problem
>
> Best regards
>
> Jan-Bernard Bouzillé

Redirecting this to PSC, since I don't think many read the -web list...

Does anyone have experience / opinion on this?  My immediate reaction was that this should be covered by blanket license, not something that we would want to be giving individual permissions for.  Then I realized I had no idea of GPL covers this, and indeed it seems to be a fuzzy area, or at least subject to completely opposite interpretations, according to my quick, limited search for help [1][2][3].

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Copyright_of_MediaWiki_screenshots
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot#Copyright_issues
[3] http://chillingeffects.org/copyright/faq.cgi#QID809