[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [GRASS-web] authorization reproduction

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 07:03:35 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Ivan Shmakov <ivan at siamics.net> wrote:

> […]
>
>  > The statement in the letter is:
>
>  > "I wish integrate screenshots of results obtained with Grass Gis
>  > software."
>
>  > If he refers to *his own* screenshots, then there is obviously no
>  > need to obtain any permission.
>
>         JFTR: if the screenshot in question includes a copy of GRASS’
>         own artwork, such as, for instance, GRASS logo, or a
>         spash screen image (as does, e. g., [1]), then such a screenshot
>         may be considered a “derivative work,” and the terms of GNU GPL
>         may apply (which is somewhat unfortunate, given that the latter
>         was never meant to be a free license for artwork.)  To my mind,
>         this alone may be sufficient to cause concern for a publisher.
>         (And especially to a “non-copyleft” one.)
>
> I don't think that GNU GPL applies to screenshots although they include
logo, icons or layout which are might be GNU GPL. The screenshot is
considered as a citation (a sentence of other's work in your own) or maybe
just as nothing more than a picture of standard usage of the program. And
the standard usage is not influenced by GNU GPL. But the citation case is
clear and unless the screenshot is not used as a book cover or something
similar, it is the same as for standard citations.

This is my unprofessional understanding of GNU GPL.