[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [GRASS-web] authorization reproduction

Ivan Shmakov ivan at siamics.net
Thu Oct 24 00:27:14 PDT 2013

[…]

 > The statement in the letter is:

 > "I wish integrate screenshots of results obtained with Grass Gis
 > software."

 > If he refers to *his own* screenshots, then there is obviously no
 > need to obtain any permission.

	JFTR: if the screenshot in question includes a copy of GRASS’
	own artwork, such as, for instance, GRASS logo, or a
	spash screen image (as does, e. g., [1]), then such a screenshot
	may be considered a “derivative work,” and the terms of GNU GPL
	may apply (which is somewhat unfortunate, given that the latter
	was never meant to be a free license for artwork.)  To my mind,
	this alone may be sufficient to cause concern for a publisher.
	(And especially to a “non-copyleft” one.)

	I believe that the same applies to the CC BY-SA “North Carolina”
	data set, as available from [2] (and perhaps the other datasets
	listed at [3].)

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/uploads/images/Gallery/gui/wxgui_start.png
[2] http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php
[3] http://grass.osgeo.org/download/sample-data/

	FWIW, my personal preference would be that all the GRASS artwork
	be dual-licensed under both GNU GPL and a free Creative Commons
	license, either CC BY-SA or CC BY.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257