[GRASS-PSC] too many branches => retirement GRASS6.5.svn (=develbranch6)

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Apr 6 12:50:45 PDT 2014

Martin Landa wrote

>> Hamish, maybe you could be the official grass6 maintainer, managing the
>> whole grass6 development in the way you propose, i.e. any new development
>> and bugfixes first go into grass6dev for a period of testing, before
>> _you_
>> make the decision that something can be backported to grass6release. I do
>> think however, that for this to work, we would need to regularly publish
>> snapshots of grass6dev for easy testing.
>
> I think we should really stop thinking about GRASS 6 "development",
> ideally we should fully focus our energy on GRASS 7. We do not have
> enough man-power for keeping development in GRASS 6, simply saying. So
> please bug fix only should go there (relbr64). No new functionality.
>
> Martin
> --
> Martin Landa * http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/Landa

I encourage this.

the intention/motivation, why I've written the mail (and mail subject) in
that way I did, was/is to push forward GRASS 7 to a status ready for release
_and not to forget_ GRASS 6 - just always keeping grass-dev man power in
mind.

IMHO sometimes it's time to do the next (maybe challenging) step to get
GRASS 7 with all the fancy news out into the wild.

regarding release stability, I think it's all about communication with the
community.

-----
best regards
Helmut