[GRASS-PSC] too many branches

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Mar 31 01:24:46 PDT 2014

On 29/03/14 07:04, Luca Delucchi wrote:
> Hi PSC,
>
> with the upcoming GRASS 7 release we have to many branches to maintain
> (releasebranch6, devbranch6, releasebranch7 and trunk).
> Can I ask you to take a decision about the future of all this branches?
>
> I could suggest something like:
> - keep releasebranch6 only for important bugfixes, no new feature and
> starting to forget it
> - put in reading mode or remove (after backport the differences with
> grass64) devbranch6
> - releasebranch7 is the new stable release branch, so new features
> only when we are far from release a new version
> - trunk for new feature
>
> what do you think?

The initial idea was to create a tech-preview release of grass7, not an
official 7.0 release. Has that changed during the sprint ?

If we only do a tech release, I don't think we really need a
releasebranch. Just a short (max 2 weeks) commit freeze to trunk to make
sure everything compiles and runs as expected (with known bugs) and then
release.

Concerning grass6, I agree that we should probably merge release and
dev. Maybe

- backport anything from dev to release that is stable enough for
release (if there is anything left to backport)
- publish grass6.4.4
- if there is anything in 6-dev which is not in trunk, then forward-port
that if necessary/feasible
- then, as you propose, abandon 6-dev and keep 6-release in maintenance mode

Moritz