[GRASS-PSC] too many branches

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 31 01:34:50 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> The initial idea was to create a tech-preview release of grass7, not an
> official 7.0 release. Has that changed during the sprint ?

No, this is what happened: beta1 (called like this to maintain
consistency with previous pre-releases).

See also (pls improve that page!):
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.0.0beta-News

> If we only do a tech release, I don't think we really need a releasebranch.
> Just a short (max 2 weeks) commit freeze to trunk to make sure everything
> compiles and runs as expected (with known bugs) and then release.

This is likely causing more work than it helps. but we can see how it evolves.

> Concerning grass6, I agree that we should probably merge release and dev.
> Maybe
>
> - backport anything from dev to release that is stable enough for release
> (if there is anything left to backport)

There is a LOT left since some people only feed devbr6 and then don't
backport to relbr6...
I got a bit tired of comparing it (did so many times in the past).

> - publish grass6.4.4

Yes. Since we also fixed the r.li suite, it looks pretty good.

> - if there is anything in 6-dev which is not in trunk, then forward-port
> that if necessary/feasible

Perhaps there is, not idea (see comment above).

> - then, as you propose, abandon 6-dev and keep 6-release in maintenance mode

Yes.