[GRASS-PSC] too many branches

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Mar 31 02:15:45 PDT 2014

On 31/03/14 10:34, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>> The initial idea was to create a tech-preview release of grass7, not an
>> official 7.0 release. Has that changed during the sprint ?
>
> No, this is what happened: beta1 (called like this to maintain
> consistency with previous pre-releases).

I did see that, but for me a beta release is a first version of what
will be a final grass7.0 release. A tech-preview, in my understanding,
is more of a snapshot of an ongoing development branch.

But if the general feeling is that we can actually release a grass7.0 by
the summer or early autumn, then let's do it.

> See also (pls improve that page!):
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.0.0beta-News
>
>> If we only do a tech release, I don't think we really need a releasebranch.
>> Just a short (max 2 weeks) commit freeze to trunk to make sure everything
>> compiles and runs as expected (with known bugs) and then release.
>
> This is likely causing more work than it helps. but we can see how it evolves.

I think it creates more work during the short freeze, but avoids the
need of multiplying branches.

If the procedure is clear and the calendar is agreed upon and all devs
collaborate then it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Moritz