[GRASS-PSC] GRASS PSC elections in 2016

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jun 3 02:24:55 PDT 2016

On 02/06/16 19:49, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 4:17 AM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>> On May 14, 2016, at 11:34 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>> - June 2016: elections (here it would be great use the technology of
>>> the OSGeo charter member elections)
>>
>> there will be new technology used this year - Vasile knows more about it.
>
> I asked him: it is the same as in the last 2 years: Limesurvey.
>
>>>   Here we have the problem to not have a charter membership.
>>
>> we can have a system where anybody can nominate a candidate and the contributors with
>> svn access (both core and add-ons) vote - can you find out how many we have ?
>
> I have done that (also Martin L could do) by querying the registered
>
>    38 GRASS Core developers
>    79 GRASS Addon developers
>   117 total
>
> A few names are double, so unique names:
>   105 total
>
> Like the QGIS project (AFAIK), we could add the translators:
> 100 translators
>
>> if we have enough developers with svn access (core and add-on) they could represent “charter members”
>> because they are considered trusted members of the community.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> But it would be good to find a way how to include power users who do not have svn access.
>
> Exactly.

I also agree, but I think we shouldn't make this too complicated.

How many power users do we really have that don't have addons access ?

I would suggest that we begin with those that have svn access (which
probably includes the more active translators, or ?). We can then start
from now on a process of coopting new charter members in a process
similar to OSGeo.

> The questions are
> - how get get in the power users, how to "identify" them?
> - and: how to contact all people mentioned above? Those with OSGeo ID
> I can lookup in the system, the CSV tables are fine, too. Mass
> mailing?

I would announce the vote (and the procedure) via the mailing lists.
That way completely inactive contributors might not be informed, but
that sounds fine to me.

Moritz