[GRASS-PSC] GRASS PSC elections in 2016

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jun 3 06:15:35 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>>> Can't we just have a system where every 3 years we reelect the complete PSC, but people
>>> can be candidates for their own succession ? I'm not sure that there is such a rush of people
>>> for this job, but if there is, great. Then the election will actually be a real election ;-)
>
> that is what I had in mind. OSGeo board elections work that way as well.

The OSGeo board elections work differently:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Election_Procedure#General_Process
"General Process
 Half of the board positions (4 or more if directors stepped down
before their term was over) will be up for election each year in a
process operated by the Chief Returning Officer (CRO).
"

Of course we don't need to follow that.

>> And I think that the risk that the entire PSC will be changed and that we find ourselves with a PSC full of newbies is quite low.
>>
>> So, to summarize, my proposal would be:
>>
>> - Election of the entire PSC every three years
>> - All people with SVN access have the right to vote
>> - Elections are announced on grass-dev and grass-user with a clear definition of procedure:
>>       - Anyone (or anyone with voting right ?) can nominate someone during a period of a few (4?) weeks
>>       - Possibly: those who are already in the PSC and stand for elections again do not need a nomination / can nominate themselves ?
>>       - Voting during 1 week
>>       - The ten candidates with the most votes make up the new PSC
>
> This looks good to me on the first reading - I suggest that we think this through for a day or two (think about what may not work
> under this scenario to avoid unexpected consequences) and if it still looks good we should put it on a wiki to keep track
> of the process

Already done:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2016#Proposals

> and then it can be announced.
> I suggest that anyone regardless of voting right can nominate and the current members can nominate themselves
> just by saying that they are standing for re-election.

Sounds good.