[GRASS-PSC] git migration: Zenodo and versioned DOI for GRASS releases

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 17 07:29:03 PDT 2019

Hi Peter,

"Peter Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de> schrieb am Mi., 17. Apr. 2019, 12:15:

> Hi Markus, hi PSC,
>
> the reason why I believe we should consider the Zenodo option (for long
> term archiving and DOI-based scientific recognition/citation) before making
> the switch to GitHub is the DOI versioning capability of Zenodo (
> https://blog.zenodo.org/2017/05/30/doi-versioning-launched/). This is
> similar to the mechanism implented for the GRASS module manual pages, where
> references from outdated versions point to the current release of the
> module (and man page). The DOI-versioning mechanism in Zenodo additionally
> implements a version history as a hsitorical sequence of releases. This
> means that the DOI version for GRASS 4.2.1 predates GRASS 4.3, which
> predates GRASS5.x, etc. etc. and all also point to the latest release.

Yes: each release is a point in time.

The GRASS SVN contains the release branches dating back to GRASS 5. In
> addition there are tarballs from the GRASS 4.x era (-> what about GRASS 3.x
> or earlier ?).

Please check our work already done:
I have reconstructed the releases back to 3.2 including time stamps at file
level.

https://github.com/grass-svn2git/grass-legacy

Note that the URL will change to OSGeo organization soon.

Making all these releases available for scientific citation (and
> recognition) through one versioned DOI in the described "timely sequence"
> is a more complex task than what's covered in the how-to guides for
> GitHub-Zenodo-integration (https://genr.eu/wp/cite/).

We have all branches there, since 1987.

I've contacted the Zenodo helpdesk for advice how this should be approached
> and will report back ASAP.
>
> It would be a pity (and waste of ressources) if we make the effort to
> create a GitHub repo for GRASS once and then having to redo it because of
> some pecularities of the DOI-versioning mechanism.

Still I don't see why we should redo it.
Does the new structure not address it?
Did you check it?

Best,