[GRASS-PSC] GRASS GIS Community Sprint Prague 2019 Expenses

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 04:32:56 PST 2019

Hi Moritz and all,

Sorry for getting back to this late. I'm picking up where you and Martin
left.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 12/12/19 10:51, Martin Landa wrote:
> > Hi Moritz,
> >
> > čt 12. 12. 2019 v 10:13 odesílatel Moritz Lennert
> > <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> napsal:
> >> - IIUC, most of the budget you are asking for is actually for
> >> promotional material (stickers, magnets) that are only indirectly linked
> >> to the code sprint, or ? I would therefore suggest to separate the two
> >
> > make sense to me. In reality you are suggesting two separated voting
> > procedures, right?
>
> Well, don't know if we really need two voting procedures, or just one
> vote combining the two expenses...

I guess it could be one email with two items and we would add -1/0/+1 to
each of these, but the reason it is there is that the division is not
clear: couple of the promotional items are for the people at the sprint,
e.g. stickers for their laptops (small amount, but why order just few?) and
rest for people to take with them from the sprint and give out later on
(indirect, yes, but would not happen without the sprint).

> >> requests to make that more apparent. Your actual "sprinting" costs are
> >> <60€, or ?

The above potentially applies to other events too. It just so happened here
that the rest of the expenses are smaller than the promo part of the
budget. I was just quickly going through budgets from the previous sprints
to put something reasonable to the 2020 budget and sometimes the by far
biggest expense is food, sometimes it is travel reimbursements.

Generally, it seems we don't have a clear procedure of assigning the
expenses to different budget items. Are travel grants part of sprint budget
or are on top of it? Or should the actual sprint budget expenses be
combined from budged for sprint, travel grants and promo?

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2019
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2020

> > Yes, only one dinner, two lunches + small food.
>
> No beer ??? ;-)

As everybody knows, beer is a part of a meal in Prague (today, it can be
also non-alcoholic!). ;-)

> >> - In the report, you write: "We spent several hours over the course of
> >> the sprint discussing different alternatives and finding a best way to
> >> implement the one we have chosen." I see that everything has been
> >> documented in detail on the relevant wiki page:
> >>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/New_Startup#GRASSGISCommunitySprintPrague2019
> ,
> >> but would it be possible summarize the general philosophy on the mailing
> >> list ? I think this is an important part of GRASS GIS and discussion
> >> should be larger.
> >
> > Sure, on the other hand we cannot discuss it forever :-) We have
> > prepared step-by-step roadmap, see [1]. No big revolution, just small
> > but important steps. Feel free to comment!
> >

> Yes, I saw that (that's why I already included the same link ;-) ), but
> it is very detailed and so I'm not sure I really understand the big
> picture of the general philosophy you have decided. On the wiki page we
> started out by discussing two general options: "Keep current paradigm,
> but make contact easier" or "Change paradigm" (e.g. "Open into a
> predefined lat-long location but give information message"). IIUC, your
> roadmap follows the first option, or ?
>
> There's just too many trees for me to see the forest ;-)

I have added the result of our discussion as another "proposal" which
should be a quick read. One of the reasons I wrote the detailed notes is
that not only the discussion results are available, but the whole
discussion leading to that decision is available too.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/wxGUIDevelopment/New_Startup#ProposalA3Prague2019:Datatreeandbigbuttons

Best,
Vaclav