[GRASS-PSC] proposal: winGRASS 32bit versions - phasing out in 2020

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue Apr 21 12:30:57 PDT 2020

Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote
> dear GRASS PSC,
>
> a few days ago, I've asked in the GRASS user ML following question [1]:
>
> *winGRASS - still a need for 32bit versions?*
>
> reasoning:
>
> - 64bit computer architecture and 64bit windows operating systems are very
> common
> - 32bit computer architecture and 32bit windows operating systems will
> find
> their EOL
>
> and the important reasons:
>
> - reduce the high maintenance burden to keep 2 build environments of
> winGRASS (32bit, 64bit) alive
> - facilitate to find possible (automatic) alternatives of winGRASS build
> environments beside the actual MSYS2/OSGeo4W workflow
>
> so far, no feedback by the community that there is still a need for a
> winGRASS 32bit version.
>
> thus I propose:
>
> * phasing out of winGRASS 32bit versions in 2020
> * communicate early and communicate often ;-) about this phasing out
>
> in my original post, I've suggested  'middle next year (2020 July 31)'
>
> it can be discussed if it should happen at middle next year (2020 July 31)
> or end of year 2020; though IMHO it should happen... ;-)
>
> any feedback? any suggestions?
>
> [1]
> http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/winGRASS-still-a-need-for-32bit-versions-td5424586.html
>

> -----
> best regards
> Helmut
> --
> Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GRASS-PSC-f4051248.html

Coming back to this? Any opinions? Any suggestions?

Citing here https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/627#comment:3

------------

The current idea is to switch to 5.14 and use the occasion to upgrade
compilers and drop 32bit (according to the latest qgis survey only 7% of the
participants still use it).

I still think we should phase out wingrass 32bit  in 2020 ;-)  .... and
should announce it earlier than later.

-----
best regards
Helmut