[GRASS-PSC] GRASS GIS Budget request for 2020

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jan 10 11:53:07 PST 2020

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 4:00 AM Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> Thank you. I like that the new budget is more compatible with OSGeo. I was just thinking that the meetup item
> should go to the the events [1] since it is likely to be more outreach event than a sprint. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I just made it " Events/Community Sprints" to not overcomplicate the table.

> Perhaps more importantly, I don't understand where the "delta to be fundraiser" is coming from, although it generally makes sense to have it.

"Delta to be fundraised" is indicating how much money we still lack to
get an even budget.

(only USD here)
TOTAL  15,704

from that:
- Request to OSGeo (as main budget)  8,973 (i.e. excluding
Events/Community Sprints)
- Request to OSGeo (as Sprint support) 6,731

Hence we have the:
Delta to be fundraised 3,704

I have re-worded it accordingly here:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2020#Planned_Expenses

The delta to be fundraised we can address like this:
- leftover money from 2019
- new/ongoing paypal campaign at https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/86YKZiIEPV
- other sponsoring

> [1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-psc/2019-December/002089.html

[...]
>> > Sprint budget thus only includes catering and possibly some venue costs ?
[...]
> I quickly went through the past sprint budgets and got cost for each budget item and then combined them. The previous sprints were lucky enough and were always able to reduce one or more items in the budget to zero or nearly zero (e.g., free venue), so this counts for kind of a worst case, e.g., no attendees being able to sponsor their travel. Otherwise, I assume same funding usage Jody mentions [2]. That seem to fit with what we were doing so far.

Yes, as the figure includes travel support.

> The separate travel grants item is for travel to other sprints than the GRASS GIS ones, e.g., the OSGeo one, possibly even to other events for promotional purposes, and also as a backup if more is needed for the GRASS GIS sprint.
>
> Please, let me know if you have more questions about this and/or make any changes. I just provided my best guess for a 2020 plan.

For me it is fine.
I have updated the OSGeo budget page as well.

Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software