[GRASS-PSC] Fwd: [Board] GitHub sponsors

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon May 25 06:10:25 PDT 2020

On 25/05/20 15:02, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 25/05/20 11:12, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> Potentially interesting for us as well! Any opinions?
>
> Looks good after a rapid look.
>
> I don't understand whether the limitation to some regions [1] concerns
> the organisations receiving the sponsoring, or the people who sponsor.
> We did receive some donations from outside that list.
>
> The advantage would be to really make this into a GRASS sponsorship
> account, instead of going through a money pool linked to my personal
> PayPal account as currently.
>
> Moritz
>
> [1] https://github.com/sponsors#countries

Hmmh, just read some more here [2] where it says:

"Anyone with a GitHub account can sponsor anyone with a sponsored
developer profile or sponsored organization profile through a recurring
monthly payment."

So, that means that only people on github can sponsor ? And that
sponsorship necessarily means a "recurring monthly payment" ? If any of
those two are true, then I think this would be a possible complement to,
not a replacement of our current PayPal money pool.

Moritz

[2]
https://help.github.com/en/github/supporting-the-open-source-community-with-github-sponsors/about-github-sponsors