[GRASS-PSC] [Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Budget 2021

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jan 14 00:30:42 PST 2021

On 13/01/21 23:37, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 10:19, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>> Then we can use similar figures and leave out physical meetings.
>>>
>> But also other expenses are related to physical meetings, probably
>> this year will be difficult to meet again.
>> This year I would ask less money to OSGeo, also because there was no
>> money back from FOSS4G 2020 and this year is still a question marker
>
> Yes, agreed.
>
> Today Vero and I went through the budget of 2020 and cleaned it up.
>
> I created a ODS table in the nextcloud of OSGeo for both 2020 and 2021:
> https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/s/dKXfqq4QkMmSkB5
>
>>> Of course I'd be grateful to receive suggestions and ideas.
>>>
>> In the case could organize something like microgrants for translation,
>> documentation or communication?
>
> Great idea: added to the draft budget.
>
> See
> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2021
>
> and OSGeo request put here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2021#OSGeo_Projects
>
> Please speak up if anyone disagrees.

There's a bit of a mix-up between accounts (past income) and budget
(planned income).

- The total amount of money we carry over from 2020 (aka "Surplus 2020")
is 1902,18€, which is the sum of the 1413,27€ currently in the bank
account and the 488,91€ currently in the PayPal money pool.

- In 2020 we only got 290€ in donations into that money pool.

- So in the budget 2021 we need to decide what our target for donations
is. As a reminder, in 2019 we managed to collect over 1000€ in donations
but that was linked to specific drive for the web site. As OSGeo paid
for the website, we still have most of that money left (minus some that
was spent for sprints). I would think that if we are more proactive for
donations we should be able to at double last year's amount and so we
could put in a target of at least 500€ in the 2021 budget.

- This is a budget, and so it also contains some elements of hope. I
think we should foresee money for in-person sprints, which might become
possible again in the second semester of 2021. If we can't do them,
we'll save that money, but we should at least budget the option. In
2019, the main sprint cost about 1000€ with roughly half for travelling
and half for other costs, a second smaller sprint was about 500€. So I
added that. If we are able to organise these sprints, we still would end
up with a surplus at the end of the year, even if we do not collect any
donations, so I think we can take the "risk" of budgeting them.

This also allows to show that we do not only rely on OSGeo for the
funding, but use our own money as well.

I've gone ahead to change both the file in Nextcloud and the wiki (do we
really need both ? can't we just link from the wiki to a read-only
version of the Nextcloud file ?), but please feel free to revert if you
disagree.

Moritz