[GRASS-PSC] [Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Budget 2021

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Jan 15 15:58:52 PST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 9:30 AM Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 13/01/21 23:37, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > I created a ODS table in the nextcloud of OSGeo for both 2020 and 2021:
> > https://nextcloud.osgeo.org/s/dKXfqq4QkMmSkB5
> > https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2021
> >
> > and OSGeo request put here:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2021#OSGeo_Projects
> >
> > Please speak up if anyone disagrees.
>
> There's a bit of a mix-up between accounts (past income) and budget
> (planned income).

OK, thanks for the clarification (below).

> - The total amount of money we carry over from 2020 (aka "Surplus 2020")
> is 1902,18€, which is the sum of the 1413,27€ currently in the bank
> account and the 488,91€ currently in the PayPal money pool.
>
> - In 2020 we only got 290€ in donations into that money pool.

(OT: seems we need to advertise it better)

> - So in the budget 2021 we need to decide what our target for donations
> is. As a reminder, in 2019 we managed to collect over 1000€ in donations
> but that was linked to specific drive for the web site. As OSGeo paid
> for the website, we still have most of that money left (minus some that
> was spent for sprints). I would think that if we are more proactive for
> donations we should be able to at double last year's amount and so we
> could put in a target of at least 500€ in the 2021 budget.
>
> - This is a budget, and so it also contains some elements of hope. I
> think we should foresee money for in-person sprints, which might become
> possible again in the second semester of 2021. If we can't do them,
> we'll save that money, but we should at least budget the option. In
> 2019, the main sprint cost about 1000€ with roughly half for travelling
> and half for other costs, a second smaller sprint was about 500€. So I
> added that. If we are able to organise these sprints, we still would end
> up with a surplus at the end of the year, even if we do not collect any
> donations, so I think we can take the "risk" of budgeting them.
>
> This also allows to show that we do not only rely on OSGeo for the
> funding, but use our own money as well.

Yes, fully agreed.

> I've gone ahead to change both the file in Nextcloud and the wiki (do we
> really need both ? can't we just link from the wiki to a read-only
> version of the Nextcloud file ?), but please feel free to revert if you
> disagree.

Thanks for the update.
And yes, just linking from the wiki to a read-only version of the
Nextcloud table is preferred (filling in Wiki tables isn't that much
of fun).