[GRASS-PSC] First draft of call for student grants

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Nov 16 02:40:10 PST 2021

Thanks, Vero, for your feedback (and Vaclav for the direct change) !

Here are some comments/replies.

Am 15.11.2021 21:35 schrieb Veronica Andreo:
> This is great Moritz! Thanks for taking the lead on this and drafting
> the call!
>
> Here are my comments/questions:
> - _"be eligible to work in the country in which they reside" -->
> _maybe this is related to them having a tax number or bank account, no
> idea.

I think it is more linked to the fact that GSoC pays for a student job,
no ? Or is it also considered a grant ?
Maybe we can leave this out and only add it in the future if the issue
arises. But IANAL.

> Questions might be if the money goes directly from OSGeo to the
> student, won't OSGeo need an invoice? If we pay directly from our bank
> account, do we need it?

If necessary we can provide a standard form for requesting the payment
of the grant which function as invoice.

> - The agreement of a GRASS GIS core developer to mentor the student's
> work --> Maybe no need to be core, perhaps no need to be dev at all if
> the student proposes to create educational material. In any case, some
> sort of mentor would be desired in my opinion.

Agreed.
I changed to "an active member of the GRASS GIS community". Not sure how
to formulate it differently to ensure inclusion of all categories.

> - In the nature of the grant section, should we set a maximum
> duration, eg. 2 months or so?

Done

> - In the how to apply section: email with proof of eligibility should
> be sent to some of us privately I think for data privacy reasons (?).

Yes, that's why I put XYZ as the address. Maybe we can create an
@osgeo.org address for this ?

> Would be nice to ask them to introduce themselves to the community
> too, no? Probably once accepted.

Yes, but not sure this needs to be in the grant procedure description.

> - Approval: 2 weeks sound better to me

ok, done

> - Final report: the report in the wiki seems fine to me, could also be
> the trac wiki where all the GSoC reports live too.

I agree, but this raises the more fundamental question whether in the
long run we want to continue with two wikis, especially with the trac
wiki, knowing that we do not use trac for anything else anymore.

> The final report
> could be sent to grass-dev and psc mailing lists.

Added.

Moritz