[GRASS-PSC] First draft of call for student grants

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 04:37:23 PST 2021

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:40 AM Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
wrote:

> Thanks, Vero, for your feedback (and Vaclav for the direct change) !
>
> Here are some comments/replies.
>
> Am 15.11.2021 21:35 schrieb Veronica Andreo:
> > This is great Moritz! Thanks for taking the lead on this and drafting
> > the call!
> >
> > Here are my comments/questions:
> > - _"be eligible to work in the country in which they reside" -->
> > _maybe this is related to them having a tax number or bank account, no
> > idea.
>
> I think it is more linked to the fact that GSoC pays for a student job,
> no ? Or is it also considered a grant ?

GSoC is considered an independent (contract?) job according to their FAQ
[1]?

[1]
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#is_gsoc_considered_an_internship_a_job_or_any_form_of_employment

Since our grants are also "service"-based payments, probably, we should use
the same category for tax purposes?

Another idea is to use the money for "competitions" where students submit
their "completed" work and we pick a couple of their projects for monetary
rewards. Not sure about tax implications in this case. It's more of a prize
than a pay.

Maybe we can leave this out and only add it in the future if the issue
> arises. But IANAL.
>
> > Questions might be if the money goes directly from OSGeo to the
> > student, won't OSGeo need an invoice? If we pay directly from our bank
> > account, do we need it?
>
> If necessary we can provide a standard form for requesting the payment
> of the grant which function as invoice.
>
> > - The agreement of a GRASS GIS core developer to mentor the student's
> > work --> Maybe no need to be core, perhaps no need to be dev at all if
> > the student proposes to create educational material. In any case, some
> > sort of mentor would be desired in my opinion.
>
> Agreed.
> I changed to "an active member of the GRASS GIS community". Not sure how
> to formulate it differently to ensure inclusion of all categories.

I think we need different requirements for different categories. Software
development needs core developers or at least add-on devs depending on the
repository, I think.
* Software development
* Improvement of the manual documentation
* Educational resources including workshop manuals, user guides, Jupyter
notebooks
* etc.

> > - In the nature of the grant section, should we set a maximum
> > duration, eg. 2 months or so?
>
> Done
>
> > - In the how to apply section: email with proof of eligibility should
> > be sent to some of us privately I think for data privacy reasons (?).
>
> Yes, that's why I put XYZ as the address. Maybe we can create an
> @osgeo.org address for this ?

Sounds good.

> > Would be nice to ask them to introduce themselves to the community
> > too, no? Probably once accepted.
>
> Yes, but not sure this needs to be in the grant procedure description.

I think it's a good idea to promote this grant program. It can be
considered a letter of interest. Maybe emails with a prefix like "[STUDENT
GRANTS]".

> > - Approval: 2 weeks sound better to me
>
> ok, done
>
> > - Final report: the report in the wiki seems fine to me, could also be
> > the trac wiki where all the GSoC reports live too.
>
> I agree, but this raises the more fundamental question whether in the
> long run we want to continue with two wikis, especially with the trac
> wiki, knowing that we do not use trac for anything else anymore.

I agree. We should somehow consolidate the two wikis.

> > The final report
> > could be sent to grass-dev and psc mailing lists.
>
> Added.
>
> Moritz
>

> > El lun, 15 nov 2021 a las 13:07, Moritz Lennert
> > (<mlennert at club.worldonline.be>) escribió:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Following the discussions at today's PSC I've written a first draft
> >> of a
> >> call for student grants:
> >> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Student_Grants [1].
> >>
> >> Several points still need clarification (see comments in
> >> [brackets]).
> >> Feel free to edit as you see necessary.
> >>
> >> If we really want to go forward with this still before Christmas,
> >> then
> >> we need to have the final version ready by end of next week the
> >> latest.
> >>
> >> Enjoy your weekend !
> >> Moritz

> > Links:
> > ------
> > [1] https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Student_Grants

Huidae Cho, Ph.D., GISP, /hidɛ t͡ɕo/, 조희대, 曺喜大
GRASS GIS Developer
https://idea.isnew.info/