[GRASS-PSC] First draft of call for student grants

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Nov 27 15:06:44 PST 2021

Hi all,

Some comments inline:

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 1:37 PM Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:40 AM Moritz Lennert <
> mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Vero, for your feedback (and Vaclav for the direct change) !

I took liberty to add some links (what "PSC" and "PR" is may be not that
obvious...).

Here are some comments/replies.

>> Am 15.11.2021 21:35 schrieb Veronica Andreo:
>> > This is great Moritz! Thanks for taking the lead on this and drafting
>> > the call!

Thanks a lot!

> Here are my comments/questions:
>> > - _"be eligible to work in the country in which they reside" -->
>> > _maybe this is related to them having a tax number or bank account, no
>> > idea.
>>
>> I think it is more linked to the fact that GSoC pays for a student job,
>> no ? Or is it also considered a grant ?
>>

> GSoC is considered an independent (contract?) job according to their FAQ
> [1]?
>
> [1]
> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#is_gsoc_considered_an_internship_a_job_or_any_form_of_employment
>
> Since our grants are also "service"-based payments, probably, we should
> use the same category for tax purposes?
>
> Another idea is to use the money for "competitions" where students submit
> their "completed" work and we pick a couple of their projects for monetary
> rewards. Not sure about tax implications in this case. It's more of a prize
> than a pay.

Grant vs award vs job probably also depends on where the bank account
resides fiscally.
Now that we are on https://opencollective.com/grass this may matter/help.

[...]

> I think we need different requirements for different categories. Software
> development needs core developers or at least add-on devs depending on the
> repository, I think.
> * Software development
> * Improvement of the manual documentation
> * Educational resources including workshop manuals, user guides, Jupyter
> notebooks
> * etc.

I'd agree here.

[...]

> > - In the how to apply section: email with proof of eligibility should
>> > be sent to some of us privately I think for data privacy reasons (?).
>>
>> Yes, that's why I put XYZ as the address. Maybe we can create an
>> @osgeo.org address for this ?
>>

> Sounds good.

I can do that (it would be an email reflector to XYZ then:
grass-[grants|awards]@osgeo.org --> someone at from.our.team.something

> Would be nice to ask them to introduce themselves to the community
>> > too, no? Probably once accepted.
>>
>> Yes, but not sure this needs to be in the grant procedure description.
>>

> I think it's a good idea to promote this grant program. It can be
> considered a letter of interest. Maybe emails with a prefix like "[STUDENT
> GRANTS]".

Sounds good.

[...]

>> > - Final report: the report in the wiki seems fine to me, could also be
>> > the trac wiki where all the GSoC reports live too.
>>
>> I agree, but this raises the more fundamental question whether in the
>> long run we want to continue with two wikis, especially with the trac
>> wiki, knowing that we do not use trac for anything else anymore.
>>

> I agree. We should somehow consolidate the two wikis.

I also agree.

Markus