[STATSGRASS] krigged dem lost detail

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Mar 17 15:11:48 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> I didn't follow this thread in details (although very interesting).
> There is cross validation for optimizing tension and smoothing,
> did you make use of that (sorry, if already written...)?

I think that Hamish and Markus are right: both rst and kriging have
parameters which may lead to this result if set in particular ways. Maybe
cross validation is a way of comparing their leave-one-out prediction
performance for (for example) a subscene of the STRM data you've been
using.

You'd have to try a bit to find out which parameters might be the critical
ones. I have compared gstat kriging using CV with Tps in the fields
package, I have a presentation with the gory details (it was actually
comparing with GeoStatistical Analyst on the Meuse Bank data, gstat with
the flood frequency factor in R came out best).

Because upgrading 90m data is likely to be something a lot of people want
to do, it would be worth trying to find out what is going on here. Can you
post a suitable subscene and its location metadata - say as a geotiff?

Roger