[STATSGRASS] Any suggestions?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 17 06:42:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I am running Grass6 and R start doing some simple statistical analysis.
> I got my vectors connected to a database through a mysql driver.

So the point/polygon geometries are in GRASS and the attribute data is in
the database? R could also read the attribute tables directly, rather than
pulling them through GRASS, if you like, though maintaining integrity will
need watching.

> I would like to start plotting maps with graphs on it so I need to fetch
> attribute data of layers and represent them as histogram or boxplot.
> Can you suggest me some resources?

This isn't very clear - each geometry object has a single observation on
each attribute field, so the histograms (for each place - point/polygon)
are across multiple fields? To get boxplots, see symbols(), but a good
deal of massaging will need to be done to work across columns rather than
down them. For placing histograms, it may be you'll need to go to the
gridBase package, documented in Paul Murrell's R Graphics (CRC Press) and
in R News October 2003, Fig. 2 is suggestive of the flexibility.

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no