[STATSGRASS] Re: WG: Re: WG: Re: WG: Re: gmeta6() returns empty string

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 28 13:06:42 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Tilmann Steinmetz wrote:

> hi,
>
> thanks for the hints- but executing the commands from different shells
> unfortunately doesn't make any difference.
>
> Speaking of locale settings I realized that this might be the reason and set
> out to adjust mine properly from C to de_DE.ISO8859-15 (an itch I've long
> planning to scratch) but the result is unchanged --

Very strange, maybe when Stromboli calms down?

> Is there any way I can go from here without running Grass on, say, Linux?

Yes, of course. Just run them side-by-side, with GRASS using r.in.gdal and
v.in.ogr to read files written from R by writeGDAL() and writeOGR() in
rgdal, and r.out.* and v.out.ogr wrt. readOGR() and readGDAL() in rgdal in
R. This is almost what the interface does anyway, but because the new
stand-alone r.out.gdal is in 6.3, you may need to choose your prefered 6.2
raster output format avoiding the older scripted r.out.gdal if you are not
running the GDAL GRASS plugin (best not to, IMO). All the interface gives
over and above this is handling the intermediate files as temporary files,
and adding GRASS categories as factor levels to R factors.

How did you install R, I assume you built from source? Did you notice any
worrying messages?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no