[GRASS-stats] using R with windows native installer GRASS 6.3

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jul 22 15:25:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, darren norris wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Looking for "getting started" type help.
>
> I am using GRASS 6.3.0 (windows native installer) on vista. I want to
> run R in GRASS and can't understand how to do it.
>

> Can anyone explain how to use R (I have the appropriate packages) within
> this GRASS set up. I have tried typing R into a GRASS command line
> (-accessed from the ADD COMMAND LINE button), nothing. No idea if it's
> connected or not or how to add the code I need, whether the command line is
> working or not.
>

> Answers for an idiot would be a great help (e.g. push x button then type y).

On my native Windows GRASS, 6.3.0 release, TclTk (wish) interface, I enter
the full path to R - either "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.7.1/bin/R" (command
line) or "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.7.1/bin/Rgui", and click either "Run" or
"Run (background)", in the window named "Output - GIS.m", bottom pane.

You can find the correct path for your R in the properties of the R
desktop icon. Use quotes if the path contains blanks, and forward slashes
to avoid back slashes in the path being misinterpreted.

I have R_LIBS set as a user specific environment variable, so don't need
to add this. I'm not sure what ADD COMMAND LINE is, but if it is ADD
COMMAND LAYER, this is not the right place.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no