[GRASS-stats] Speedup of readVECT6() with plugin

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 24 06:23:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Roger Bivand wrote:

> I've submitted spgrass6_0.5-9.tar.gz to CRAN, so barring accidents it should
> be out soon. If you're using the raster or vector plugins and have comments,
> please let me know - look for the new plugin= argument, which is FALSE by
> default to avoid problems, but can be NULL for autodetection, or TRUE to
> force use if the plugin is known to be available.

My apologies, 0.5-9 was released on CRAN three weeks ago, so no change.

What I do need is advice on whether to leave plugin=FALSE, or to set
plugin=NULL for autodetect, and risk foobars from existing user code
assuming the current region rather than the raster region seen by the
plugin if installed and autodetected.

My preference remains for plugin=FALSE, that is, users have to change to
NULL or TRUE themselves, and accept the consequences of mixing up regions.

Is there a shell-level utility in GRASS to check whether the region of a
raster is equal to the current working region - the function could call
that and create a copy of the required raster in current resolution if
they differ?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no