[GRASS-stats] Speedup of readVECT6() with plugin

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 24 06:29:18 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>> I've submitted spgrass6_0.5-9.tar.gz to CRAN, so barring accidents it
>> should be out soon. If you're using the raster or vector plugins and have
>> comments, please let me know - look for the new plugin= argument, which is
>> FALSE by default to avoid problems, but can be NULL for autodetection, or
>> TRUE to force use if the plugin is known to be available.
>
> My apologies, 0.5-9 was released on CRAN three weeks ago, so no change.

Dear Roger,

not sure what that means: can you upload only periodically from time to time?

> What I do need is advice on whether to leave plugin=FALSE, or to set
> plugin=NULL for autodetect, and risk foobars from existing user code
> assuming the current region rather than the raster region seen by the plugin
> if installed and autodetected.

Let me suggest:
The raster plugin behavior will be a problem (we should really fix that in GDAL)
while the vector plugin behaves well.
How about having two parameters:

rasterplugin = FALSE
vectorplugin = NULL
?

> My preference remains for plugin=FALSE, that is, users have to change to
> NULL or TRUE themselves, and accept the consequences of mixing up regions.

Above might help.

> Is there a shell-level utility in GRASS to check whether the region of a
> raster is equal to the current working region - the function could call that
> and create a copy of the required raster in current resolution if they
> differ?

The easiest way it to compare the output of

r.info -g map127
north=230000
south=214000
east=646000