[GRASS-stats] Problems installing spgrass6

William Hudspeth wbhk at unm.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:34:32 EDT 2008

Hello, I am having problems installing the latest version of spgrass6 on
a machine running SUSE linux 10.1. From the R prompt, I updated all
packages, including sp, rgdal, spatial, etc.

I also upgraded my version of gdal using the SUSE Yast utility. When the
update got to spgrass6, I received the following error:

* Installing *source* package 'spgrass6' ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error in fun(...) : could not find function "packageStartupMessage"
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rgdal'
Error: package 'rgdal' could not be loaded
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'spgrass6'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/spgrass6'
** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib/R/library/spgrass6'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/Rtmp4zsWbv/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'spgrass6' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, William