[GRASS-stats] Re: [GRASS-user] error: Incompatible library version for module. You need to rebuild GRASS or untangle multiple installations.

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jul 29 08:37:27 EDT 2009

Nikos Alexandris wrote:

> > Right, I assume that people know that I am using Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit, R
> > 2.9.1, latest rpy2, grass-6.4.0svn from source.

> Please always repeat everything every time; don't delete content from
> threads. I'm travelling and cannot handhold.

Just try to do them more easy to read :-). Maybe I overdid it :-O

> Build only from source, only one piece at a time, and check everything
> every time. I'm sure that other people have seen dependency problems when
> installing from binary on this platform. This is not seen on any other
> platform (Linux, Windows, OSX). There are two underlying problems:
> "dependency hell" and your inability to sort out your own system. I
> suspect that the XML package in R does not have its dependencies
> satisfied. It could also be GDAL/GRASS not having dependencies satisfied.
> The reason to build from source is that then you control the dependencies,
> rather than the reverse.
>
> Please stop creating the impressionn that software that works for
> effectively everyone else is broken only because you can't get your own
> system to work, and expect others to do your work for you!

True, it's my ignorance on how to deal with compilation/installation
issues.

Nevertheless, I strongly believe that there is always some gain by
asking questions, even if they are not "smart". No offense, but
unfortunately of fortunately I can only promise that, for as long as I
am interested to understand/learn, I'll keep asking :-p

Kindest regards, Nikos