[GRASS-stats] rgrass7: readVECT() issue with drivers other than ESRI Shapefile

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jul 19 15:58:34 PDT 2015

No possibility of helping now, mostly offline to 8 August.

SQLite depends on the GDAL driver, which depends on an external library
(or several). The Windows and OSX rgdal binaries are built in as minimal
way as possible, linking statically. Adding SQLite possibly with
Spatialite is not currently feasible, and binary builds typically include
GEOS, which we don't want as it is used through rgeos, not rgdal. We
certainly should try to do something, but not by introducing any external
dependencies, so first check drivers available in the CRAN Windoes and OSX
binaries (which are built by the CRAN team, not me).

Roger

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Roger, all,
>
> greetings from the community sprint:
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Como_2015
>

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> attached a simple (potentially ugly?) change to enable "SQLite" as a
>> new driver for reading GRASS GIS 7 vector data into R
>> (readVECT("vectmap, driver="SQLite")).
>> I would really appreciate to see "SQLite" support added since it seems
>> to be the only lossless OGR driver (e.g. unlike the default "SHAPE"
>> file driver).
>>
>> I'll not commit this myself to r-forge since I am not sure if it
>> should be implemented differently.
>> Please verify.
>

> Do you have any suggestions how to add SQLite support for a better
> vector interface?
>
> thanks
> Markus

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no